By entering the Setting Sun Film Festival, entrants agree to abide by the following terms and conditions. Failure to abide by these terms and conditions will result in disqualification. Fees will not be refunded. By entering a film, it is presumed that every entrant has read the Terms and Conditions, Social Media Policy, and Disclaimer. Award categories and judging information here.
- All films in all categories entered into the competition, must have been completed from 1st December 2015 until January 31st 2018. Applicants must register and pay before submitting their film. The deadline is midnight EST. 31st January 2018.
- All films in all the short film categories in the competition, (which is separate to the festival) must not be more than 15 minutes opening to closing credits. We will accept and screen films outside these restrictions however they will not be eligible for the competition. Films will be judged and the winners announced on the website prior to the festival starting. Judges’ decisions are final and no discussion will be entered.
- All short films must be uploaded by the filmmaker onto YouTube or Vimeo with the link included in the application form for judging. No hardcopy DVDS are to be submitted to the festival. Please check the quality of your film once uploaded. Please provide the password on your application.
- For screening purposes at the Sun Theatre, successful short film festival applicants will need to provide:
High Definition MOV H264 or PRORES file set to 24 frames per second, and
with resolution 1998 x 1080 for Flat Aspect Ratio 1:85
OR 2048 x 858 for Scope Aspect Ratio 2:39
BEST SHORT FILM WEST: Filmmakers entering the Best Short Film West Award must have had key creatives (director, producer, writer) living in the west, or have completed their entry in the west, during 1st December 2015 – January 31st 2018 to be eligible.
- Entrants must have two of the following to be eligible to be screened in the female filmmaker program: producer, screenwriter, director.
- Only films with a female director can be eligible to win the Sue Maslin sponsored Film Art Award for Best Film By A Female Filmmaker and the $1000 prize.
SECONDARY STUDENTS entering a film in the competition must be over 13 years of age to enter. It is presumed that by entering the competition that the child’s parent/ guardian has read the terms and conditions and has consented.
FEATURE FILMS: To enter your film for consideration please note the following:
- For the purposes of the festival, an Australian film is any film with 51% or more Australian financing.
- Your film can be a documentary or a narrative.
- Preferably, your film has not been screened in Victoria and was completed between the dates 1 December 2015 – 31st January 2018.
- Your film must be more than 60 minutes long.
- You are available for a Q and A following the film’s screening
All feature films must be sent by hard drive, USB, or dropbox link for viewing by judges. The feature film chosen to screen during the festival must be made 35mm and DCP (DCI compliant).
- Once a film is entered into the festival, it cannot be withdrawn after 24 hours. Films cannot be withdrawn at all after the Call for Entries deadline expires and judging begins. Should a filmmaker wish to withdraw their film, no refund will be issued. Refunds are not issued if the film has not been entered by the deadline.
- The Setting Sun Film Festival will not be responsible for damaged, lost, misdirected or unusable content.
- Content that is libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually, culturally or racially offensive will not be included. A film under the threat of litigation, or facing litigation must not be entered. No refunds will be issued.
- An entrant is solely responsible for ensuring that all necessary copyright and other permissions for their film has been obtained prior to submitting their film. This includes, but not limited to, music, stock images, footage, photos, graphics and sound. Entrants warrant their film does not breach any of the intellectual rights, or any other rights, of any other person. Entrants will fully indemnify the Setting Sun Short Festival of any costs, loss, expenses, damages, or liability, whether direct or indirect, arising out of a claim by a third party or another party.
- The judges’ decision is final and no discussion will be entered. Entrants agree not approach festival staff to discuss.
- As the Sun Theatre theatres are small, finalists and winners will receive two free tickets to the Opening Night only if their film is screening. Everyone else receives two free tickets to a general session screening of their film. Selected finalists are also expected to attend the festival or send someone from the film to represent them if they are a winner in the competition.
- The Setting Sun Film Festival is an artistic festival. Corporate films, films that promote or publicise an organisation, issue or event will not be accepted. Films with contact details for an organisation or an event will not be accepted. Entrance fees will not be refunded.
- Films may be moved for judging into different categories at the discretion of the Festival Director.
- The Festival Director may include films in the festival that fall outside of the judging and festival criteria. These films will not be part of the competition.
- Films cannot be entered into the competition more than once.
PUBLICITY, MARKETING, SOCIAL MEDIA AND AWARDS
While we welcome feedback and discussion, we expect participants in the festival to act in a respectful manner on social media. Festival entrants agree not to make:
- knowingly false or mischievous complaints or statements about individuals, companies or sponsors involved with the festival
- content that is misleading, obscene, off-topic, sexist, racist or spam
- content that uses SSFF site for promotional or commercial purposes
- content that breaks or encourages others to break the laws of Australia and its states and territories in any way, including breaching privacy laws; and
- content that defames or harasses any participant of SSSFF site, administration, employees, sponsors or volunteers.
Finalists and winners must be present, or send a representative, to accept their award. Please notify the festival office if you are unable to collect your award.
Winners must contact the festival office to collect their prizes within two weeks of the conclusion of the festival or forfeit their prize.
All festival winners and filmmakers whose films have been selected for the festival programs agree to mention the festival in any media interviews or marketing they do for up to 12 months after the festival ends. We work hard to promote you. Share a little love back.
The winner of the Rouge Program agrees to mention the festival in media interviews.
By submitting a film into the festival, entrants authorise the SSFF, the right to use their film, synopsis and details for publicity and promotional activities. An entrant grants the festival the right to cache, and store their content and grant a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual and royalty free right and licence to use and distribute their content online, through its website, its YouTube and/or Vimeo Channel, and the websites of partner networks and sponsors. Entrants grant the festival the right to additional screenings outside of the festival as part of marketing the festival.
The Producer acknowledges that SFF, its assignees and licensees, shall have the right to dub and/or subtitle and to cut and/or edit the Film in any fashion that SFF deems necessary, including, without limitation, for the purpose of television broadcast or line distribution, packaging the Film with other SFF films, to comply with broadcasting statutory censorship practices, standards or regulations or as otherwise may be required by law in any applicable country where the Film may be exhibited.
Once entered films selected for the 2018 Setting Sun Film Festival must not be screened on social media until the Festival ends.
Except as provided by law, the SSSFF Website is provided “as is” and without any warranty or condition, express or implied. SSFF does not warrant that the information contained in or accessible through the SSSFF website is accurate, suitable for your purposes or without errors, omissions or viruses nor does SSFF guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to the SSSFF Website. You acknowledge that access and use of the SSFF Website (including the software operating in connection with the SSFF Website) may be interfered with by numerous factors outside of SSFF’s control. SSFF does not warrant the accuracy of any advice, opinion, statement, representation or other information displayed on or accessible through the SSFF Website. Subject to the provisions of the Trade Practices Act 1974, SSFF makes no representations or warranties in respect of the information and materials available on the SSFF Website or the means of accessing that information and material (including the software operating in connection with the SSFF Website).
SSFF makes no warranty or representation and accepts no responsibility for any websites operated or controlled by entities other than SSFF which are or may become linked or framed to or from the SSFF Website. You access those sites and use the products and services made available at those sites solely at your own risk.