We’re turning five! Help us celebrate.
The Setting Sun Film Festival is the largest and premier short film festival in Melbourne’s west, attracting talented, quality filmmakers from Melbourne and beyond. We’re proud of our record in showing some of Australia’s best and award winning filmmakers. In 2017 we sold out all sessions screened over four days.
Our 2018 festival promises to be our biggest yet. We’re looking for films that tell a great story, amuse, entertain, inform and wow to showcase over five days. Filmmakers have the chance to win some great prizes and see their film screen in the glorious art deco Sun Theatre Yarraville. Award categories here. Anyone can enter. All genres welcome. We’ve made a few exciting changes ….
- We’re streamlining our categories this year and making them all Open
- To make it easier for more women to be able to win our popular Rouge program, a film needs only a female director to be eligible
- We’ve increased our cash prizes
- We’ve increased the length of short films to 15 minutes long. We’re looking for films made from 1st December 2015 – 31st January 2018
- We’re screening a feature (s). To celebrate turning five, we want to screen a feature length film(s), narrative or documentary. One lucky filmmaker will have the chance to see their film screened at the Sun Theatre and participate in a Q and A with the audience afterwards. Details here.